UCI-NEXT Fellowship Program
Applications due June 17, 2019
Submitted at https://www1.icts.uci.edu/grants
The UCI-NEXT Fellowship is intended to support a period of mentored or independent career development in preparation for a role as an independent researcher and to enable and expand the fellow’s potential to make significant contributions in the biomedical, behavioral, and clinical sciences. Our goal is to increase the quantity and quality of exceptionally gifted clinical researchers and translational scientists throughout the training pipeline.
We are pleased to invite applications for UCI-NEXT Fellowship position. The appointment must begin by September 1, 2019.
- 2 years
- $20,000 unrestricted funding per year
- Meet on a quarterly basis with the UCI-NEXT Mentorship Committee
- Make an Individual Development Plan at the beginning of the Fellowship
- Complete the Clinical Trials Methodology Course (CTMC)
- Participate in the ICTS training programs/workshops (FFAST workshops and monthly Brown Bag Journal Club Meetings)
- Participate in the NeuroNEXT monthly 1 hour webinars
- Show research productivity through grant awards, presentations, and/or publications
- Complete an evaluation of the Mentorship Committee at the end of the fellowship
- MD, DO, MD/PhD, or DO/PhD
- Have a primary full time paid appointment as a junior faculty member and must be within the first three years of the appointment as Assistant Professors or equivalent in Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Anesthesia, or Psychiatry at UCI or CHOC.
- Letters of support from both a primary and secondary mentor
- Publication record
- Statement of research and career goals, especially as they relate to clinical and translational science
Full applications are due by 5pm on June 17, 2019.
- Statement of research interests and career goals (limit to 1000 words)
- Two mentor Support Letters
- Outline the qualification of the applicant and the availability of resources for the applicant to complete their research
- Additionally, mentors need to provide a statement regarding their role in career development of the fellow.
- A signed statement of support from the department chair or division chief.
- This letter need only speak to the availability of resources for the applicant to perform research
- NIH Biosketch
Scholar Selection Criteria
The UCI-NEXT Mentorship Committee and Steering Committee will review the scholar applications following the model of the NIH peer review process. Selection criteria will focus on the strengths and potential of the candidate to become a leading multidisciplinary clinical investigator judged in five major domains:
- Track Record: Creativity of the candidate and potential to lead excellent multidisciplinary research judging by track record in some or all of the following: areas of expertise and prior training; publications; funded grants
- Research Plan: Scientific value, potential clinical importance, and feasibility of the written multidisciplinary research plan
- Resources: Tangible commitment and resources provided by the home department/ORU, and suitability of the available clinical and laboratory infrastructure and multidisciplinary team
- Career Potential: Global assessment of the likelihood that the candidate will develop a career as an outstanding investigator who will lead multidisciplinary teams and have an important impact on health
Notes and Deadlines
Full applications are due on June 17, 2019.
All application documents must be submitted online at www.icts.uci.edu/grants
Questions should be directed to Marie Wencel: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be notified of the outcome on or before July 26, 2019.